When you’re shopping for auto insurance there are numerous discounts available.
The types of discounts and size of the savings will vary a bit from one insurance company to the next – but, there are three general categories of discounts to look for: driver discounts, vehicle discounts, and policy discounts.
Driver discounts are all about the drivers – their driving history, occupation, use of their vehicle, etc. Driver discounts include:
- Good driver: Available for drivers without any accidents, tickets, and/or other claims within the past 3 – 5 years.
- Qualifying membership: Savings for members of specific organizations including AARP, MEA, college alumni, and credit unions.
- Student: Discounts available for good students (3.0 GPA or better) as well as students away at school without a vehicle.
- Low mileage: Additional savings for drivers whose annual mileage is limited.
Vehicle discounts take into consideration the safety features of each automobile, and average costs – when that type of vehicle is involved in an accident – to repair the car and provide care for injured occupants. Most vehicle discounts are automatically determined from the vehicle identification number (VIN) and include:
- Air bags
- Anti-lock brakes (ABS)
- Garaged discount
Policy discounts aren’t about the specifics of the cars or drivers to be insured. These are typically additional savings offered by insurance companies for writing and renewing preferred clients. Policy discounts include:
- Multi-vehicle: Savings for insuring multiple vehicles on one policy.
- Multi-policy: A discount for combining both your auto and home, condo, or renters policies with the same insurance company.
- Full payment (PIF): Additional savings for paying your entire premium up front.
Did you know?
Our auto quote form includes questions to maximize discounts on your auto insurance.